Burnout comes from people not getting what they need out of their jobs.
Causes of burnout include:
- Imbalanced workload not enabling growth or rest.
- Lack of control/autonomy.
- Disproportionate time/effort vs intrinsic/extrinsic rewards.
- Lack of social support or short-lived relationships.
- Unfairness in treatment, acknowledgment, resources.
- Difference in values/ideals between individuals and organization.
Poor balance between defense versus fires can contribute too.
Elizabeth Grace Saunders, “6 Causes of Burnout, and How to Avoid Them,” Harvard Business Review, July 5, 2019, https://hbr.org/2019/07/6-causes-of-burnout-and-how-to-avoid-them. (See notes.)