Archetypes of systems traps and their opportunities.
- Policy resistance: Subsystems adjust when system attempts a correction.
- Tragedy of the commons: Many users deplete a resource, assuming helplessness.
- Eroding goals: Bad perceptions reduce expectations, causing goals to slip.
- Escalation: Actors aggressively one-up each other.
- Success to the successful: Getting ahead further ensures further getting ahead.
- Dependence: An actor cedes control to an external intervenor.
- Rule beating: Circumventing rules’ intent.
- Seeking the wrong goal: Measuring metrics that don’t probe the actual state.