Answering “what is the character of the organization?”.
The identity of the organization is comprised of the critical social values it applies. Mutliple vectors:
- Autonomy: Values diverse viewpoints.
- Control: Values uniform identity.
- Cooperation: Everything fits somewhere.
- Autonomy: Meritocracy, take risks.
- Control: Follow orders.
- Cooperation: Assist others.
- Autonomy: Opportunity access.
- Control: Security of role.
- Cooperation: Access to community.
- Autonomy: Hire primarily from the outside.
- Control: Prefer to promote into higher roles.
- Cooperation: Develop via partnerships.